US Visa

We help clients successfully accomplish their immigration-related objectives

Millions of people enter and leave the United States every year. It is a popular tourism and immigration destination. However, if you are not a resident of the United States, you will most likely need a visa to enter the country. A US visa is a stamp that you get on your travel document, more specifically your passport, which means that you are eligible to enter the United States. Having a US Visa does not necessarily mean that you will enter the US, as this is at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and the Customs and Borders Protection (CPB) Inspectors.

The US is one of the world’s most visited countries and anyone wishing to enter it must first obtain a visa. There are a number of US visas depending on one’s purpose of travel. Thus, it is essential to know about the types of visas and their requirements before applying for the same.

What are immigrant and non-immigrant visas?

US visas can be broadly divided into two types: Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas. Those wishing to permanently relocate to the US can apply for Immigrant Visa while Non-Immigrant Visa is for someone who wants to stay in the US temporarily. Immigrant visas are again classified into Family-sponsored, Employment-sponsored, and Other (those that do not belong to the first two categories) visas.

Immigrant Visas

About the family-sponsored and employment-sponsored immigrant visas

Those wishing to settle in the US to live with their families (US Citizens) can opt for Family-based Immigrant Visas: Immediate Relative (IR-1, IR-2, IR-3, IR-4, IR-5), Family-Preference (F1, F2, F3, F4) Visas.

Employment-based Immigrant Visas are for those entering US for their career: E1 (priority workers), E2 (professionals holding advanced-degrees/persons of exceptional ability), E3 (skilled workers/professionals/unskilled workers), E4 (special cases), E5 (immigrant investors).

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-Immigrant Visas for those wishing to stay temporarily

Non-Immigrant Visas (NIVs) are issued to those wishing to be in the US on a temporary basis; applicants must have permanent residence outside the US.

There are numerous NIV types, but Indians are not eligible for some NIVs.

Visitor Visa is the most popular NIV. It has a six-month maximum validity. Categories include Business Visitor (B-1), Tourism Visitor (B-2), or combination of both (B-1/B-2).

Student Visas

Two types of visas for studying in the US

Individuals who want to study in the US must have a Student Visa; there are two Student Visa types: F (Non-Vocational education), M (Vocational education) visas.

F Visas comprise F-1 (for full-time students) apart from F-2 (dependants of F-1 visa holders) and F-3 (Mexican/Canadian students).

M Visas include M-1 (for vocational and technical education) and M-2 (M-1 dependent visa), and M-3 (Mexican/Canadian vocational students).

Work Visas-1

Work Visa is another most popular type of US Visa

To work in the US temporarily, employees must qualify for Work Visa based on the employment purpose.

Individuals holding Bachelor’s degree in specific specialties may qualify for H-1B Visa for specialty occupation. Spouses and children (under 21 years) of H-1B Visa holders may receive H-4 visa.

Another work visa is H-3 for trainees who are under training from employers for up to two years.

Work Visas-2

Other types of temporary employment US Visas

L-1 is another Work Visa for temporary intra-company transferees (must be employees of international companies). Dependents of L-1 visa holders receive L-2 visas.

O Visa for individuals with extraordinary ability/achievement in science, education, arts, business, athletics or extraordinary achievement in motion picture and television production.

Q Visa is for those participating in international cultural exchange programs for training or employment.

Exchange visitors

Exchange visitor visa for non-immigrants to visit US

Those who wish to participate in any exchange visitor programs in the US can apply for the Exchange Visitor (J) Non-Immigration Visa.

Before applying for the visa, candidates must have been accepted and approved by the sponsor of the exchange programs.

Participants of such programs may include students at academic levels, teachers, professors, research scholars, professional trainees, visitors for research purposes, consultation, travel, etc.

Get in Touch

We regularly update with information and Frequently Asked Questions about US Immigration Law, how long it takes to get a visa, requirements of a skilled migrant and other legal issues. For further information, please contact us on (925)568 7586

What Immigration Programs can I Apply for?